Newest Oil Plant Strike Shows 'No Secure Areas in Russia's Far Hinterland'
Ukrainian drones have targeted the Russian Bashneft facility in Ufa, located around 1,400 km from the Ukrainian border, triggering detonations and a inferno, according to a source in the Ukrainian intelligence agency.
This marks the latest Ukrainian security service long-range attack in Bashkortostan in the last month. These strikes illustrate that there are no safe places in the distant backlines of the Russian state.
Ukrainian President Calls On Trump to Facilitate Peace in Ukraine
Volodymyr Zelenskyy appealed to Donald Trump to facilitate a truce in the Ukrainian conflict over a call on the weekend.
"Provided that a hostilities can be stopped in a single area, then surely other wars can be ended as well, covering the Russian aggression," he said, commending Trump's "remarkable" Gaza ceasefire plan and requesting the American leader to influence the Kremlin into talks.
Moscow's Attacks Take Lives in the Country
Russian attacks on Ukrainian territory claimed the lives of 5 individuals on Saturday and disrupted electricity to sections of Ukraine's south Odesa region, according to authorities in Ukraine.
A pair of individuals lost their lives within a religious building in Kostyantynivka when it was targeted, as reported by municipal sources.
In Russia's adjacent territory of Belgorod, a vehicle operator was lost his life by a attack from Ukraine, per municipal sources.
Electricity Recovery Work in Kyiv
Efforts carried on on Saturday to recover electricity in Kyiv, after Russian attacks.
Power had been recovered to over 800,000 residents by the weekend and the largest private energy company said the key work to repair the grid was finished though partial blackouts persisted.
Anti-Aircraft Efforts and Drone Jamming
Ukraine's defense forces neutralized 54 out of seventy-eight UAVs from Russia deployed against Ukraine during the night, the aerial defense command reported on the weekend.
The Russian defence ministry said it intercepted forty-two UAVs from Ukraine over the country's airspace.
Cuban Government Refutes Allegations of Deploying Soldiers to the War
Cuba on the weekend denied US allegations it has sent military personnel to fight in the Ukraine war, while declaring officials in Havana "do not have accurate details about individuals" participating "independently" or "as part of the armed units of the conflicting parties".
The government department in the capital said 26 Cubans had been convicted to incarceration ranging from five to 14 years for mercenary activity since the autumn of 2023 when information circulated of individuals being dispatched to the frontlines in Ukraine.
Surrender Initiative Program Discloses Information on Cuban Enlistment
The program, a state program that encourages enemy combatants to lay down arms, said in May: "We reliably know the personal data of one thousand and twenty-eight individuals who entered into agreements with the Russian armed forces in 2023-2024."
The government in Havana said of Cubans who might be participating: "There is no doubt that none of them possesses the encouragement, allegiance, or authorization of the government in Havana for their activities."
Family members of individuals who traveled to the Russian Federation in 2023 informed news outlets at the time that their relatives had been deceptively recruited through promotions on digital networks.